Get The Look
How To: Lana Style Updo with The Iron
Check out this step by step with James to create a romantic but simple updo with the Lana Curl using The Iron.
1. Allow hair to fall with natural part.
2. Depending on density of hair, take about an inch wide section on either side of the part (more than an inch if the hair is low density). Clip section up out of the way.
3. Tease the remaining hair (maximum tease) in three sections – side, side and back.
5. Combine the three sections. Barrel roll the ends under, moving toward the nape and Bobby pin in place.
6. Release the clipped up hair and allow to fall at natural part.
7. Prep the hair with Valor Superfine Hair Spray. Starting at the hairline take 2 inch sections on which to create the Lana Curl.
7a. Standing in front of your client, starting on the right side of the part, place your index and middle finger behind the 2 inch section creating an upside down V with your finger tips toward the floor.
7b. The Lana curl is a figure 8 pattern, so take your 2 inch section and wrap over your index finger and under your middle finger then over your middle finger under your index finger. Keep your index and middle fingers spread apart.
Tip: You can use your ring finger to anchor the ends to your middle finger while you slide the hair into the foil pod.
7c. Pinch the hair between your index and middle finger and slide the hair off your fingers (this is where you will see the figure 8)
8. Place your figure 8 into a foil pod and secure on both ends and “flex” in the middle as well.
9. Using The Iron by Beauty & Pin-ups heat the foil pod for 8-10 seconds. Be prepared to protect the client from the foil pod with cotton or clip it away from the face. Foil pod will be very hot.
Tip: If the hair is extreme in length or density you can heat for 12-15 seconds.
10. Repeat steps 7-9 moving from the right side of the head to the left, working in the same direction all the way around.
11. Allow pods to cool completely.
12. Gently brush through your curls and finger set.
13. Pin any ends that extend below the barrel roll. Set with Fierce.